Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, September 14, 2006

ancient sigh

Years ago
When they were moving
And giving away ‘things’ they had collected
My mother-in-law gave me an old pot
That had been given to her
By a Medicine Man
From the Plains

She said it was special
And she knew it was
Because another Medicine Man had seen it
And was worried she had just ‘found’ it
“No” she said, “It was a gift from another Medicine Man.”
“Well then,” he said with a relieved sigh, “then it will be safe for you to have it.”

She gave it to me with the story that I share
And I have wondered at times
What is held inside

To be honest
I have held it in prayer
Not praying ‘to’ it
But “with” all the prayers that were raised with it
In some ancient time

It is fragile
As are many of our prayers
When we don’t believe
In the One who listens

Not magic at all
Faith
Thanks be to God.

Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@September 14, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home