Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, September 01, 2006

Distraction

The dictionary online says that it is "a diversion of attention" (Mirriam-Webster dictionary)
I think it is something that happens in the world that is not connected to the Good of the world.
If we are believers we can see distraction a work of those who would knock us off the path to God's peace.

Remember the song "Keep your eye on the prize" that we sang in the 60's? That sense of finding a goal and everything you do is focused on that goal is one that we've lost. We multi-task, we talk on the phone, and open our computer and read off the web while we have conference calls for an hour, while we have the wash going, while we watch TV with the sound off and the text at the bottom to be read --whew...no wonder we are tired and chaos has it's way in lives and communities. We are not paying attention...and separation happens and we fall.
The other day while we were at the end of packing some of our daughters things I moved from one task to another and back to the first. She just started laughing at me. I laughed too when I realized what I'd done. There just seemed to be so many things going on at once and I wanted to do them all at the same time. I needed to complete one and then move to the next.

It's not just me is it that gets distracted now and then? It has happened to you, right? BabaRam Das wrote a'60's book: Be Here Now. Jesus said, Be Alert.

May you have a day with focus and purpose and all pointing to your life goal.

God abide with you
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home