Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, March 24, 2006

Together-ness

Some of the clergywomen were together this past week and it was good to be with others who are doing the same work, in varied places, all over. We had a good time. Some of them I've know for some time and others are new faces though now we have made a connection.

Together---To gather we did to mark the 50 year women have been ordained in the Presbyterian Church. I have been part of that group for 28 years in September. Whew. I feel honored to be among these women and all the men and women we follow and now hopefully continue to blaze the trail for others yet to come.

I got to meet one woman Sarah D, a friend of my daughter, and we had a good time together. It warmed my heart to look into her eyes and see the hope and the joy so real. I am excited for her and her husband. Another clergy-couple!

What can we do, in whatever we do, to guide and encourage those who follow? Sometimes, sociologists tell us, people in their later years begin to destroy the very institutions and work that they spent their lives building up, civic, educational or religious groups. This is odd and interesting to me. I am surprised by that.

Years ago when I was a camp counselor and leading some of the music I got a phone call, an unusual event, at lunch. I took the call and when I got back Jay was leading 'my' song. There was a moment--or two--I stood to the side and was angry...My song... Then it hit me... Someone else leading means the song will go on.

Isn't that what we want to do with our lives? Sing the song and pass it on.

To -gather-ness we need to do to remind us of our song...

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home