Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Evidences of mercy

In May while traveling in India one of my daily disciplines was to write down an experience of mercy-- Observed, or done for me. It was a good way to focus on the presence of God in the midst of a different culture from my own.
I have always tried to be what Rev. Bob Shelton called, "A Keen observer of life". That is to say to look into the happenings around me, the world around me with an open eye and heart. Some days I do this far better than other days. Some days, to be honest, find me spinning in my own concerns about situations or people or dynamics around me. When I do that kind of self-absorbed living I miss those Mercies that are everywhere near.
Why do we do this? Why do we as faithful people spend our time this way? Missing the mercies abundant in this world when we consider ourselves the center of it all. (No mater what that "it" is...) Sigh

In India I experienced mercy each time someone took me in, or found me in a crowded train station, that is hospitality to the pilgrim. There were many other times mercy came my way. I am writing a paper on mercy to put it all together.

In the meantime- look for mercies around you, tender mercies that you can do, or that are done for you. The opportunity is there everyday.
Psalm 23 Surely goodness and mercy follow me (and you) all the days of my life (our lives) and I (we) shall dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.
Where mercy is --God is.

God Abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home