Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Footsteps

In the summer of 06 we traveled to Indonesia, Bali and Java to study contextualization of the churches there and to meet these new people. It was an awesome trip.

One day, on Java, we went to Borobudur , here's a link to information about it. www.sacred-destinations.com/indonesia/borobudur.htm

The Monk that was head of the temple and the ashram was a delightful man. He had sparkling eyes and a wonderful smile. He had a peaceful presence. I sat next to him, (he asked me to sit there) during our talk with him. He exuded peace. It was what I thought it might be like being with the Dalai Lama of Tibet.

When we were all walking into his fellowship living room he removed his shoes, as is the custom. I looked down and his leather sandals had imprinted on them a perfect footprint. It seemed to strike me as something beautiful. Here he set his feet. Not many pairs of sandals I'm sure, but enough. one.

I bought a new pair of shoes the other day. They were on sale and a good deal. I willput them with the many other pairs ofl shoes I have. Insert a sigh.

Why more than one...culture here says you need them. You need to match shoes to outfit to handbag, to .the season, to the style, to the whatever.

Oops another sigh.

So, friends, if you have more than one pair of shoes raise your hand. More than one coat, more than one sweater, more than one pan, more than one of so many things.

Footsteps. In whose footsteps do you travel. Will your 'possessions' fit in that footstep?

God abide
With you
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home