Awakening a Keen Observer

Saturday, September 23, 2006

One thing at a time

My computer is downloading a podcast of Folkways album information, there are some software updates coming through, I'm reading the news knowing when the updates are through I'll have to restart the computer so I'm waiting to finish work on the Word document I was writing...
whaoaaaa!
One thing at a time.

I remember my Daddy saying that to me. Perhaps we need a sign with that on it in all of our houses.
These days if you don't have the wash going, the dishwasher unloaded and loaded, the computer booting up, the phone headset on and your palm pilot (I don't have one of those) working you just aren't functioning to your full capacity.

When did we evolve into humans who could do all these things at once? You hunted for food, you carried water, you cooked over an open fire, one thing at a time.
Now trust me when I say that I don't want to begin that kind of life that so many people in our world still have. Seriously. But is there something to be learned or perhaps remembered about life being solo-tasked not multi-tasked?

One thing at a time.
Sit down and breathe in and out slowly. What? How can that be productive? I suppose if all the other systems around us are running we can sit down for a minute. But shouldn't we have our plans before us. Sit down and breathe in and out slowly. How can that be appropriate behavior for someone who is engaged in the world there is so much to be don? Sit down and breathe in and out slowly. But look at the "to do list" for Saturday and Sunday there is no time for...

There is no time --for there not to be time--- to do one thing at a time...
"Jesus went away to a quiet place."
Sit down breathe in and out slowly.
Again
Again
Again
Again
and when the time is right the rest of the world will be waiting. And for the most part it can wait.
oopes almost time to reboot...
but 'not yet'

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home