Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Book Report

Greetings and peace
When I was in 9th grade English class we had a substitute teacher who decided to have us do our Book reports that day not the next week which had been assigned. Several of us thought they were due the next day. My last name, Giltz put me in about position number 5 to report. So as the others did their five minute oral reports I started again to look at the first chapters of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. It is a long book but I figured in a week to have finished it. When It came my turn I started by saying that Jane Austin was a well know British author and this book was one of her best known novels. It is her way of developing strong characters that makes her writing so beautiful. Before I could say anything else the teacher began what turned into a 15 minute lecture on choosing good books by good authors. She said good work Barbara and gave me an A. It was several years before I actually sat down to read the whole book. I have read the last few chapters again and found them to be just as engaging. The writing was just as good and wholly engaging. The way the people speak to one another is so engaging.
I watched again the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice and am partly looking forward to the newer version coming out on Friday. How can it be as surely dedicated to what has been produced here? Anyway we will see.
What is it we want from a good story? One like this or the Harry Potter books or others that engage us verbally and set before us images that make us laugh and cry?
Surely we need to be people who use language with such energy and intellect.
Words have power..

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home