Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, November 04, 2005

Over-Under-Around-Through

Have you ever worked with a small child teaching them over under around and through? Taking a block or a toy and setting up some kind of obstacle and then doing those actions. I am sure Sesame Street does it in several of it's sketches. Concepts to understand life and the world around them.
It's a theological tool as well. (You knew I was going to get to that didn't you?)
We learn in our lives when there are obstacles that there are ways to deal with them. Obstacles can be opportunites and times for our growing too. Messengers to help us learn.
In a devotional I've been using this week by Joan Chittister there is this line
"Wisdom is the ability to see under the obvious meaning of any event."
I sat on the porch on a particularly wonderful morning this morning and thought about this and the world around me. What if I used this lens today to see the world and all it holds.
--under the obvious meaning of any event---
How might I differently or more 'wisely' interpret the happenings of my life? Could others use this as a way to look at the world? Perhaps we should try.
Then this scripture came to me. God is our dwelling place and underneath are the everlasting arms...
So then --rest back in God's arms and look for the place where we can dwell in trust.
under the obvious meaning of any event...

Deuteronomy 33:27 The God of old is [your] dwelling place,
and underneath are the everlasting arms.

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

Rev. Dr. Bobbie Giltz McGarey

you can order her book through this site

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=bobbieindia20-20&path=subst/home/home.html
"Life Ablaze" Joan Chittister

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home