Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, November 11, 2005

I believe that I shall see

When I was in Sunday School in Ohio at First Community Church, we had a young man teach our Class. It was third or fourth grade and he had us memorize the 23rd Psalm I remember practicing, being anxious, and trying so hard to remember it.
In my CPE, Clinical Pastoral Education, again in Ohio, the first man to die on my ward was one I had come to know along with his wife and daughter. They were in their 80's and had been so close. She came into the hallway and saw me...Oh the 23rd Psalm she said, the 23rd. I began to say the psalm and she said, Can't hear, louder. So I started again... The LORD is my shepherd, Can't hear she said, Louder. THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD! She nodded and I went on with the same tone.
Not the wistful prayerful murmuring of this most familiar Psalm...but the Shouted knowledge of God's ever present presence!
Later I remember that and realize there are times when we need to shout the scripture, not mumble in false piety. But proclaim and claim...

The 27th has also worked for me in that way....
13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
What a mantra for our days...

In these days when truth surfaces and hope abides and chaos looses
to love let us be bold to shout the Psalms as a thanks to God.

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home