Awakening a Keen Observer

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Great Blue

"Great Blue Herons are non-migratory and are present in all over
Oklahoma. They will bark like a dog when startled and can be seen
stalking small fish in shallow water."

Do you know the bird the Great Blue Heron? OHHHH
it has to be one of my very favorites and has lived everywhere in the
US that I've lived- Ohio, Arizona, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah,
Florida. They are stately birds that around here can be seen very often
in farm ponds wading along the side or sitting statue-still watching.
They have long legs and to see them take off or land is an amazing
sight.

Two days in a row as I've driven from home to work I've
seen a Great Blue crossing the road. Yesterday it was flying parallel
to the road and crossed but today it was come from north to south with
it's gentle graceful powerful wing stroke. It went over my car,(yeah
for the sun roof) but then on the road ahead was the shadow that
crossed. It was awesome.

My Daddy, Dr. Maurice Giltz was an ornithologist and so I grew up observing
birds. At Ohio State, my ornithology (bird study) professor was Dr.
Carl Reese. He and my father were dear friends. Dr. Reese was a gentle
man who oversaw my Senior project and encouraged me along the way both
personally and academically.

So, when I see the Great Blue
Heron and marvel at it's gracefulness I wonder what image in the world
will trigger a positive memory of me? Or what will be the image that
will trigger a positive memory of you?

Watch for the Great Blue.
Here's a link if you want to see some pictures.

God Abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2008

Rev.Dr. Bobbie G. McGarey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home