Awakening a Keen Observer

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oh Mercy Me

I am always surprised where mercy shows up.
I've been watching for it for over a year. You know, where you see an act of mercy that moves you. Someone with a kindness in their spirit or soul. Ah I think mercy is needed in abundance.
Where does mercy come from? It seems to me that it comes from that very best part of who we are. Giving mercy comes from the depth of our souls and is known there because of the mercy we have received in our lives. Even if it is not named as so...it's action and response are filed there in our soul.
I was having a very hard time in college with a course which was required in my major. Finally, with the help of a counselor went to see the Dean to see if that one course could be removed. I remember feeling like I was in a daze. It was so intimidating. It felt he held my 'future' in his hand. There were alternatives. I was not without other hope but at the time..THIS was it. Here is what I recall. He wore dark rim round glasses. He spoke in a deep voice mostly directed toward the counselor who had accompanied me. I have no memory of the words he spoke the first 15 minutes. He took his glasses off and on 9 times always holding them in his hand when they were removed. Then out of this fog came the words. I don't see why we can't do this for this young lady. I finally breathed and we walked out of the office.
Mercy. He had given me an opportunity to do something that was legal but irregular. Mercy. He had not challenged me personally nor made light of my previous effort.
Mercy. It moved me into a new place.

Now most acts of mercy are not so evident. They are rather opportunities to apply what power we have in situations for the good. They are indeed a way to be in the world that brings more peace for us and for all around us.

So then, you muse, acts of mercy are not easily accepted or given? Righteo.
But it's what we are to be about all the same.

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2008

Dr. Bobbie invites you to leave a comment if you are so inclined. Thanks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home