Awakening a Keen Observer

Saturday, January 19, 2008

What's your Sign?

Grace and Peace

So, I'm driving down the road, I'd not passed another car in 10 minutes and I see a man walking on the side of the road facing the traffic. I can see as I approach a sign with lettering ... it read... Love Life.
The man was in other ways not remarkable. He was a traveler, not hitchhiking but walking toward traffic, and he is backpack and his clothing said this was his home, this road he was on, where ever that might be.

Love life! The sign was hand printed the same on both sides. What in the world could have brought him to a place to have written this? What joy or what feeling of the goodness of life could have left this man to have this as his 'sign'?
I didn't ask him so I can only conjecture what it may mean to him.

But then as I kept going I wondered, What sign would I carry? What sign or message would I want to share with the world, with everyone who passes me on the road? Well I have the Presbyterian Seal on my car. I have an old Austin College sign on the back window and Ohio State on the side. But, what message do I have for the world?

See me shaking my head and hear a sigh.

Perhaps, friends, this is something we should each of us consider. What sign do we leave with the world when we pass by? Does our presence even in passing make someone smile or do we leave a different message? Do we leave affirmation or judging in our eyes with people? Or do we leave no impression at all because for whatever reason we have chosen to ignore them?

Well, have a good Sunday and think about this. Leave me a note at the comment spot at the bottom if you figure out your sign....

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2008

25 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home