Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Dreams we keep

Greetings
I have been keeping track of my dreams since I was in my early teens. I have several 'dream' books with them. It is always interesting to look back on some of them. I think that people develop over time their own particular set of 'dream' symbols. One of mine is ice skating. When things are going particularly well in my life I will dream of iceskaing even though it has been some time since i've actually skated. But for me, always a non-runner, skating was a way to get speed without hurting my knees. I skated as a child and all through college and after.

I've also had some dreams that I'd call 'big' dreams. About life, peacemaking, group dynamics, and all kinds of other situations that clarified things for me. There were some dreams that woke me with my heart pounding. So very clear. I have a few that are re-occuring dreams. These come it seems as if to give me a message about what is going on in my life.

The Bible is full of dreamers. Full of people who have listened to the voices that come to them in dreams often speaking to them as a prophet. A Prophet that is as one who holds up for them images they need to know. The Biblical dreams often guided the people or changed their direction or path. It was not seen as something so weird, but more someone who was in touch with the creator who was open to the Spirit moving through them in such a way.

How very wonderful it is to have dreams. To be guided by our hearts and our heads supplying images that make our heart stories real. And very real they become.

A dream can be more than a passing fancy of ideas stored int he brain flashing back in snippits to change things in our world. Dreams can be those thing which seem illusive and yet, and yet, and yet, are Right there.
For you to take and for you to enjoy and for you to live into...

Dream a little dream for me... for yourself. Put a pencil and paper by your bed and write down your dreams. Tell yourself as you are falling asleep that you are going to remember your dreams. Find a spiritual director to work with you on your dreams and what you may learn about yourself. And ... so... Sweet dreams... if dreams there be...

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006
Rev. Dr. Bobbie McGarey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home