Awakening a Keen Observer

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Hot Oklahoma

My oh my, if the last post was cool, Texas, the 106 degrees at the bank time/temp sure qualifies Oklahoma for being hot. This is our fourth summer here and each year someone says...this isn't like our usual summer? You can look up statistics and find out if that usual has to do with fact or memory or hope. Whew it is warm.

And we are so very accustomed to it being cool. Actually we are accustomed to it being exactly like we think it should be. And that 'exactly' has a wide range among those who set the thermostats in different buildings.

Amazingly enough I carry a shawl with me even in the summer into restraunts and movies. I often get cool and sometimes just downright cold. One summer I was doing graduate work and the building we were in had the thermostats down to 70. Now that might feel good if you walked in off the street when it's over 100 outside but sitting for four hours in a class--without really moving around --- it was downright cold. I had to go out and buy a sweatshirt for a class in June. (And I had a suggestion for the registrar when my tuition went up....don't spend it all on air-conditioning)

But what is this about really? I think it's about control. We want to control not only how we dress but how we feel and how cool or warm we are. Nature be gone! We want it to be naturally fall or spring, you know those perfect days. We don't want it too cold or too hot...we want control.

Humm? What do you think is coming next. Surprise? or maybe not
we are Not in control. If we really want it to be a particular temperature maybe we need to move to a different climate.

What can we control. Well we can control the same thing we always have a choice to control...how we will react to what is happening around us. How we will deal with the day however that day looks. How we will live in the world. I think Jesus said something about that... love God with all your heart and mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself.

not control your neighbor, not control God. but love...love love love with every cell of your body -love God- and God in the one out there----

whew. ya it's hot. perhaps we should remind ourselves that people pay big bucks for sauna's and today in oklahoma the whole outdoors is free.

God abide
Bobbie McGarey
@2004

my home internet is down and i'm headed for San Antonio on Thursday so I'll be back on Monday. God bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home