Awakening a Keen Observer

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

barefoot

When I moved into the Pulpit at Valley Presbyterian Church in Scottsdale, AZ on the 18th of November to give the sermon at the funeral of my sister-in-law, I took off my shoes. No they were not 'stupid' shoes but comfy ones. But I wanted to stand flat-footed on solid ground, holy ground.
Where we had stood the days past before waiting and praying of Analea in her crossover to her new life... We took off our shoes...I think in part ot be quiet as we came up Mom's steps, but also it did seem like holy ground.

Where do you find holy ground? I find it often where people are sharing some great joy or some great sadness. This was he way we were at Analea's service, I described the time as Bittersweet...
Bitter because we loved her so
Sweet because we loved her so.

It was holy ground. Standing before the family, all her siblings, nieces and nephews, her mom, aunts, and many friends I knew that the task before me was awesome. God is good and perhaps that came because I was flat barefooted at the pulpit.
Holy Ground because that time was one time for all time and would never come again. The tears shed never to be cried again. The pain in the faces of those who loved her. The sadness for those who grieved expressed by so many. The readings by her nieces of poetry and scripture.
17 hours early she had drawn and expelled her last breath. We waited for another, it didn't come, it wouldn't come. Her heart stopped beating. Holy Holy Holy time.

Make some place in your world intentional Holy Ground. Visit that spot often, rejoice in the presence with God, and pray for Goe's incredible mercy.

Blessed is the ONE who comes in the name of God.

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007

1 Comments:

  • Thank you Bobbie Aunti for your wisdom, for your strength, and most of all for your love!

    Your words reminded me of my mother's gift at finding holy ground in her garden, and I look forward to continuing in her footsteps this spring.

    Thank you thank you thank you!

    By Blogger Gabe, At Wed Dec 12, 01:41:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home