Awakening a Keen Observer

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Amazing Day

ee cummings
i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of allnothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)


A friend of mine from years ago, Ed Key, were working with the middle school kids at a church in Columbus, Ohio. One morning I was reading this poem and thought it might somehow work into the worship service we were planning. I brought it with me to church.

As I entered, Ed a gifted organist, began playing this wonderful piece. I was amazed. He and the minister and I started talking and I said how beautiful the music was. He said, "Well, I was just thinking of this ee cummings poem and I couldn't find it." I said, "This one?" and handed him the book with the poem marked. "Yes", he replied. We were good friends after that.

May this day before we here in the US celebrate Thanksgiving be one with your ears awake and your eyes opened.

Beauty is here. Wherever your here may be.

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007


how beautiful the sunrise in a clear Arizona sky
making daylight and day come with yellow-blue hue
the birds begin to welcome day
are we ready for another

yesterday is past and tomorrow only a dream
live this day it is a gift
yours to open and yours to share
come, lets being to dance
bbmcg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home