Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Free Floating

Remember the 'magic' trick where they have a table set with cups and saucers and dishes and the magician pulls the tablecloth out so fast that the dishes stay right where they are? I tried that trick with less success. The only good part was that I was using my plastic dishes. However, if that image is in our heads then I think we see life like that...that we can have things all settled and set and even if the table cloth is pulled out from under things stay set.

Cartoon characters in the 50's would often go running off a cliff, and keep going, until they looked down. When they looked down they would try and get back to the edge before they fell straight down. Remember, these are cartoon characters. But the fun/funny part was that they didn't fall until they recognized they could.
I remember being confused about this as a child and daring gravity took a flying leap off the bed toward my Daddy certain that if I believed enough I would fly to him. (this was before Kindergarten). But alas, as you probably already grasped, I didn't fly and instead came crashing down in front of him, though he tried to get to me, and knocked all the wind out of me. I was disappointed more than I was hurt.

These examples should make us laugh. Acting against the laws of nature just doesn't work. That should be no surprise. I mean most of the time gravity is our friend!

But we are surprised. We are suprised when the world behaves like it should. We are surprised when we forget to love and wonder why love seems so far from us. We are surprised when we don't accept God's grace and peace and we remain troubled. We are surprised when we forget to give mercy, to love kindness, to walk humbly with God, and we struggle against the world at every turn.

So in this you can choose.
Be free-floating in the promises of God
or try to walk on air or fly...
Oops.

When you surrender to the promises amazing life abounds around you.

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home