Awakening a Keen Observer

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Little Smiles

Saturday it rained. It was stormy and then it was just rainy. I conducted a funeral. We went into the church in the rain. The family and extended family were all there and they appreciated the service. A chaplain that had been involved with this woman brought the message. We worked together well. She and the family were mostly in TX.
The congregation provided a brunch before as the family came in. The church family made them feel most welcomed I believe. It was a good time for them and you could see that many of them hadn't met for some time. It was, as often happens, a reunion.
I have to say one of the places I miss that kind of reunion and smiles is at the airport at the gate when people get off the planes. Oh I know that happens outside security, but there is no time to linger as you flow with the river of people pouring out swiftly. I would find going to the airport early so much more fun if there were those meetings of families, or the good-byes you don't see anymore at the gate. There were often wonderful meetings.

Saturday when we walked out of the church on the way to the graveside we opened the doors to a bright shining sunny day without rain. What a change. It made me smile. I watched others as they came to the door, looked out at the sun and smiled. The woman's husband spoke with me saying that in the morning when it was rainy he said "it felt like heaven was weeping too" . Then he said "Look now...God smiles."
Finding little smiles can be a challenge. Perhaps that is what we should seek out during the day. Little smiles. Finding them in the world we are in---leaving some in the world we are in---

Let's sing " Love is something if yoa give it away, give it away, give it away, love is something if you give it away, you'll end up having more"

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

I'll be away for a few weeks and may not have internet access so don't dismay, I'll be back. God be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home