Awakening a Keen Observer

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Family

What constitutes family? I mean how do we determine to whom we are related? Is it by blood alone? Are In-laws really in? We are related by our love for one another but even more I think we become related by our love for something beyond ourselves.
As an only child I longed for siblings. (My husband John is the second of six). I was/am blessed with cousins for whom I feel that same kind of relationship. I have several friends who are as dearest sisters to me. Separated at birth is the way we jokingly talk of our relationship. They are people I know I can call when I need them and they will be there for me. They are family.
We are all related you know. Somewhere way back in all our genealogy we come to the place where we are related. So, there is no 'they' there is only we.

In some literature class in high school I read a book called Member of the Wedding, Carson Mccullers, it talks of a young woman's understanding of the "We of Me" as she phrased it in the book. Yes! It has been a long time since I read that book, and may deserve another look by me, but I found that the insights about understanding who we are were important. We are related all of us on different levels and for different reasons. My life is often I blessed with new people with whom I am involved on different levels. What a blessing. Thank you all for coming into my life. Let's grow together.

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home