Awakening a Keen Observer

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Remember

Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and if [God] calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening’” (1 Sam. 3:9)

That was the lectionary reading for Friday. I remember this one well. When the first Gulf War started in the 90's we lived in Utah. A woman called from my church to talk about her sadness. It was the day my birthday. John was in Austin, TX working on his DMin and the children were in elementary school.

After I had spoken with this woman for some time I began to pray about what we were all watching on TV. The rockets and bombs over Baghdad brought to the world by CNN on live TV. Pictures and voice reporting. Obviously these reporters were on the front line.

I had prayed..God let me know your will for me in dealing with this war.
At some time during the night I fell asleep.
I woke to someone calling..Bobbie! Bobbie! are you there? Bobbie?

I was confused. My children didn't call me Bobbie, John was in Austin and yet I was sure I heard my name called clearly.
Again it came-- even more urgent.
Bobbie! Bobbie are you there?

I thought of the scripture and my prayer and thought...Oh my God I'm going to Baghdad! That's God calling me.

My heart raced and then I heard. Yes, this is Bobbie Batista (a CNN reporter in Atlanta ) Go ahead with your report John.
And the news continued with John Holliman's report.

I had fallen asleep with the TV on.. The live broadcast was the first time ever anyone had been at the center of a war zone on live TV. It wasn't scripted or very coordinated when it was on they were just narrating what they saw.

But I heard my name called

Today, I advocate this ---that we pray...:"Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening...:"
and then we listen to the call in our hearts.
What do you hear?

God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2005

Rev. Dr. Bobbie McGarey
daily readings can be found: ://www.pcusa.org/devotions/ then select Mission Yearbook for the daily reading.

Today the count of those who have died in the Second Iraq War is 1716 and 12,896 wounded. I suspect many of them fathers. You can see the pictures and read the stories of the men and women at this site among others. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home