Awakening a Keen Observer

Monday, May 10, 2004

School's almost out!

They count the days until it is time for school to be out. Somehow even those of us who have been out of school for some time remember that feeling. You have had a teacher you love and you enjoyed your class. You think you have learned EVERYTHING there is to know in the ----the Grade...You are ready to summer!

When I was little in the 50's we would really have the summers free. Susie and Jackie and Nancy and I would spend the summer playing cards, reading, climbing trees, riding bikes, going to the swimming pool, and then starting over the next day. We played hours of canasta, read every Nancy Drew Book, and rode our bikes in a prescribed pattern around the neighborhood. I would play golf some with my parents. I remember the summer when they paved the street in front of our house, now that was big fun to watch.

Was life simpler then? Well my days were not programmed. I didn't have a myriad of different lessons to turn me into an expert in something or other. But it seems in my memory like good times. We were lucky to be in a neighborhood with children and our street, Dunedin, was not busy. Summer....

So what do we as adults do for ourselves that is like Summer? Do we give our bodies a break from the stress of the "school year" ? Or do we remain in high maintenance? It's not good for our bodies, too much cortisol I think it is. What do we do to give ourselves a breath?

In a world that seems to demand action....perhaps we should rebel and meet friends for tea and conversation. We should walk a little more and smile a little more and enjoy the world a little more.

So I suggest that you consider how your life is in line with the seasons of the earth. Let yourself feel the summer breezes and fresh air. God created the world ...so enjoy it!

God abide
Bobbie McGarey
@2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home