Awakening a Keen Observer

Saturday, May 01, 2004

Common Sense


When I was a camp counselor, (a way many of my stories begin) we had taken a group of kids on an overnight. Many of them had never really been camping out overnight in the woods...especially without their parents. We had cooked dinner over the fire and yet we had used regular forks to eat but paper plates. When one camper asked me what to do with their plate I said.. on you can just put it in the fire.

Not two minutes later I looked over to see the kids doing what I'd asked..they their plates in the fire...and all the forks... the metal forks... I sat with a stick flipping the forks out of the fire? What were they thinking? They were fascinated by what I was doing. I said..Did you not think? They laughed...We did what you said...

I realized then that words had power beyond all that one thinks. And one has to say what one really means because sometime somewhere someone will do what we said... not what we thought we said or what we meant ..

So, we spend our lives hoping to craft words that help to understand what we mean...words of love and caring and words of praise more than words that harm or hurt.

How do we do this... One friend said that in a relationship you can say one thing that is a complaint only after you have said five things that affirm someone else...

What were you thinking? Bless the words of our mouths and the meditations of other's hearts...
That all may hear the love... That's what we are thinking.. God knows you and loves you still!

God abide
Bobbie McGarey
@2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home