Awakening a Keen Observer

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Defying Gravity

Gravity is a fact of life and we live with it.
We don't on purpose try to defy gravity? We don't step off a curb and not expect our foot to meet the ground without us doing anything else but leaning out off the curb. We are sometimes caught by gravity if we don't see that drop off.
In one of our churches there were stairs that could be pushed in or pulled out if we wanted to step down from the middle of the chancel. There were parts of the knee high wall that were pulled back and we'd had the steps out for some time. As I one Sunday moved toward the Communion Table which was at the bottom of these four steps I was looking out at the people--not really looking down at the stairs. Which, on this day, had been pushed in even with the wall opened. One of the church members saw what was happening and got my attention and I looked down in time. I was still moving forward but I made my step off applied appropriately. If I hadn't known I would have expected a step at 5" down rather than a foot and a half. I made the step down without incident and only a few noticed that I'd landed hard.
Gravity didn't care. Gravity would have brought me down no matter what else I might have thought. There wasn't any way that I wasn't going to move down to that next level either feet first or head over heels. (which considering me in a robe might have been amusing although I don't think without injury)

What else in the world do we try to defy the laws of nature? What laws of the world do we ignore and pretend that we have powers over them? We spend millions of dollars as a society on plastic surgery to make us 'stay young'. We spend 8 Billion.in the US on cosmetics.are we not trying to defy laws of nature?

Just musing? you?

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2009

Are we not

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home