Awakening a Keen Observer

Monday, December 08, 2008

The Days are coming and yet to be


Our daughter called the other night and said...It's Snowing! I was jealous. You know the soft snow that drifts down and that covers everything. It didn't have the ice lining we often get here if we get snow.
She and I would take walks together when she was in school. If it had just snowed in Utah and it was that perfect white quiet out I would waken her and we'd get on our coats and boots and walk. There was such silence. Only the sound of our boots hitting the snow. We would talk some, but mostly I think we just listened and we shared that wonderful bond.
Somehow there was that wonderful light even in the middle of the night. We didn't take flashlights. There was a brightness about the nighttime. I can see it even now.
On the TV show Gilmore Girls the daughter called the mom and said.. It snowed. I want to walk in the snow with you..

There are few places in this world that are really quiet. Walking in the snow is even more quiet that walking in the desert.
Our kids went to a school that took great trips. We all rented snow shoes and went for a hike in the high mountains outside Logan, Utah. I loved the snow shoes...really loved it! There was such quiet and such a feeling of floating. In a sense you were. I had to take mine off to help someone with their fastening and when I put my knee down, not on the snowshoe I went deeply into the snow. It was funny not dangerous. I fixed the lace and then got back up with the help of someone's hand.

Find someplace really really quiet. And listen.

God abides this Advent
Bobbie Giltz McGarey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home