Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, March 30, 2007

Rainbow

As is often the case in SW Oklahoma this time of year we had storms that came running through yesterday. I was in OKCity most of the day and it rained so hard several times one woman said it was time to build the ark.

After the storm passed in the early evening I headed home. When I left the building the sky was dark to the east but the sun was shining. So I went outside of the parking garage to see if there was a rainbow. Couldn't find one. I got my car out of the lot and began driving and minutes later there it was...and it was a beauty. When I finally turned south again it was bright and pure off to the East. I looked behind me and could see the other base of the bow... As the sun set it continued to get brighter. For a minute I could see a complete arch..clearly touching the ground. Oh and parts of a second larger one were visible for a while as well. To be true I am not sure I was paying as much attention to the road as I should have been.

Ancients looked to the sky for the rainbow promises. In Biblical times it was said that God put the rainbow in the sky as a promise. Interestingly enough we all hang our own promise needs on the rainbows. Am I right about that?

Once a long time ago my uncle had a medical procedure done and as I was driving home to Kentucky from Tennessee I was thinking of him. Then came a rainbow. I took it as a positive sign. He did well and I new the two were linked.

But perhaps what we forget all too often is that ...it's not about us.
That is to say that the rainbow isn't so much about us and our need but more about God's promised presence.

"I Come Rain Or Come Shine
by Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen

I'm gonna love you like nobody's loved you,
Come rain or come shine.
High as a mountain and deep as a river,
Come rain or come shine.


Perhaps a stretch.. but it's still the promise that the rainbow gives.
In 1861 Lyte wrote these words
I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!

God abides --
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home