Awakening a Keen Observer

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Bigger than us

Our daughter is on the phone with some friends of hers who are in Japan. Japan the country. They have a great deal on phone calls and can talk for some time.
What this reminds me of is that the world is bigger than me. It is bigger than my concerns, it is bigger than my little concerns or troubles, it is bigger than anything that has to do with me alone. And some times we lose that perspective.

John one time said that the teen years were like looking down a long tunnel and there is a mirror at the end. One takes time in adolesence to focus on one's self with the world shut out. We are surprised to grow up finally and figure out, it's not really ALL about us. (Some people take that enlightenment better than others! Sometimes I think that some people don't ever get it.)

Sometimes we think, oh it doesn't matter if I spend XX amount on something for myself, an indugence, because, well hey, I've got the money even though I don't really need ....

But what we forget is that there are people who don't have the money, not for extras, but not even for essentials. We forget that our little somethings, even though they are small can add up to huge amounts. It's like the time that we emptied the Oatmeal box we'd thrown change in for several years and had $70 dollars in there. That's enough to take care of two childen for a month in India.

Two kids, a month!

See God has put us here in a place that is bigger than us in every way. Bigger than us and the needs are not bigger than we are if we worked together, where we are in our own towns, or reached around the world....To someone over there and with even the smallest gift said.
..Jesus loves you.

It's not about us.
And that really should be good news.

God abide
Bobbie McGarey
@2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home