Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, July 11, 2008

Say Zooms

Ok, I'll confess I've watched the PBS Masterpiece Cranford way-way too many times. But I have come to love the gentleness of the conversations and the listening they do in between their comments. Ok I know it's a movie, but I also believe it was a time when folks didn't talk over others. (The 1840's) We all too often rush in ...finishing sentences and adding comments of our friends. It is something I still work on.
When we live our lives listening I think we have an opportunity to know more. The last couple of weeks I've had some laryngitis and sounded so very croaky when I talked that I tried to rest my voice and not talk. Then too I'm reading again a book by Barbara Brown Taylor on the Silence of God. Both of these have worked together to open my ears.
One of my favorite movie scenes is in the Color Purple when Sug and the whole group process over to church singing ...Speak Lord, Speak to me.
What if that were what we said as we entered prayer...
let's give it a try.
God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home