Awakening a Keen Observer

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Confession

On the way to work this morning I was listening to the Writers Almanac on NPR and heard Garrison Keillor read this...
"It's the birthday of philosopher Jacques Derrida, born in El Biar, Algeria (1930). He's one of the founders of the theory of "deconstructionism," which he presented in the book Of Grammatology (1967). It assumes that there is no common intellectual structure or source of meaning that unifies a culture. When applied to literary criticism, it holds that a single text can have multiple meanings, which underlie and subvert the surface meaning of the words."
Whoa.... there...
I pondered what I could remember of the theory of deconstructionism...and well only remembered ...a single text can have multiple meanings...
So I've been thinking about that as I read a book "Readings on the Meaning of the Cross today".
Thats NOT my confession...

My confession is when I first turned on my computer the yahoo page news had an article about twins born to celebrity parents and the 11 million offered for photos.
Perhaps Derrida was correct...there is no common structure or source of meaning that unifies a culture.
What unifies us? Sometimes is is what we are all against...usually derived from the Ten Commandments...
But perhaps as Christians what could unify us is ... Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, strength and love your neighbor as yourself?
How might that become a unifying source of meaning?
Let's work on that...
God Abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home