Awakening a Keen Observer

Friday, June 15, 2007

Ho Hurry

Alabama
Lyrics for Song: I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why)
Lyrics for Album: American Pride

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why

Can't be late, I leave in plenty of time
Shakin' hands with the clock
I can't stop
I'm on a roll and I'm ready to rock

Oh, I hear a voice
That says I'm running behind
Better pick up my pace
It's a race and there ain't no room for someone in second place

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why
+++++++
Life slows even with so many people being busy. You wait..Just wait for it all to unfold before you...and it does...gently...obviously...full of movement and color and hope and desire and survival and success. Each one taking a part---together a whole. We may compete but we need one another for survival.

We had an overnight 12 hour train trip from Varanasi to NewDelhi. The sleeper x3 compartment had 8 people in one area with the main walk through separating two berths from the 6 on the other side. The top bunk over six feet above the floor. That was Betsy's bed. Mine a berth along the side with the one overtop high enough to sit up. None of the other when set up for sleep could you sit up inside. They brought the blankets about 9 with clean sheet in a paper with the pillow. Most people immediately made their bed and layed down. I made my bed. Apparently I don't know how to make a train bed because several times in the night I woke with the bottom sheet totally off the bottom all wrapped up in a strange configuration around my feet. We didn't have a lock for the bag to secure it to the train. We'll get one next time. It was stuffed under the berth pretty secure and no one tampered with it.
We tried to sleep. I used my backpack, arm through the strap and put my small money/id bag under my shirt.I fought for sleep. The rocking of the train was not gentle but rather violent at times. Betsy's berth had her rocking back and forth on her side. the one I had made me move up and down toward feet then toward head. Rough track in several areas. I finally slept and was glad I did. When I woke I thought that it was a good night all around. Alas, the clock told me I'd slept for 3 hours not a full night...more to go.
The workers slept on the metal floor outside the cabin between the rocking near the loo whose doors took some force to open and you always wondered if you'd encountered someone inside. The Hindi toilet much preferred on the train for reasons unnecessary to elaborate. I dreamed, wrote, and watched parts of Rural India waking up in a dream like trance. Another day...work to be done to survive and thrive and try and make it to the big city where the promises of big money has always called the rural laborer. Wherever they live.
omen already carrying bundles of grass and rice and sticks, They walk in threes for most logical reasons and it works. How else to hoist and balance on your heads the huge bundles but with the help of two others.
Moments have passed...all these things are happening simultaneously...did you see?

God abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home