Awakening a Keen Observer

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Isle of Conclusions

My daughter is working in her apt and she came across her notes for Philosophy class from college. Philosophy, though on the outside may seem more relative than say mathematics, has it's own rules and laws. There are things which are rational, true, and which are irrational.
Life is all those things it seems. Sometimes it seems to flow so logically and all we do falls into place with what we think we know. Then other times, far from logically, our lives seem to be thrown a curve and we spin as if we were a child's toy top sent twirling by some force beyond us--out of our control.
The movie, The Village, was about a community in which the elders covenented together to create a way of life and sharing and giving that was outside of the rest of the world. Their children didn't know there was 'another world' and the Elders set about creating limits by teaching everyone to 'fear' a thing that lived in the woods that surrounded them. When people or youngsters began to test the limits the 'thing' would appear in the Village and they would have to make an animal sacrifice to pacify the creature. By the small group consesus, because they had been wounded themselves, they wanted to create a safe world, where they controlled the thinking and knowledge of those around them. What hold the power of fear had on so many. Is it a good thing to do? The movie leaves you with questions.
" When I will little I thought like a child, reasoned like a child, acted like a child, when I grew up I gave up childish things. Now we see in a mirror dimly, then we shall see face to face. Now we know in part then we shall know in full just as we are fully known..." scripture paraphrased.
What we knew as children we put together with the experience and knowlege we had then. As adults we are called to use all reason and logic and listening and discerning to get all the information we can from trusted sources, and then to use the brains God gave us to discern even then --the truth of something. To learn the taste of truth.
There are certain people who hold differing opinions on some things that I trust to help me clarify and understand what is what when I'm in a quandry. People I turn to--truths I turn to--experience I have gathered--and faith that God is leading me when I surrender to that leading... that help me know what is what.
We can make leaps in logic. But as in the children's book, The Phantom Tollbooth, when you jump to conclusions it is an island you can only escape by swimming through the sea of logic.
God has a plan. Wow that is Good News!
God abide
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home