Awakening a Keen Observer

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Reading

I picked up a book that belonged to my mother. She was always reading books that she felt would help her on her spiritual journey. This one is about learning more about prayer by using the Lord's prayer in a particular way. I need to read it more carefully before I share it here but it reminded me most of my mother.
I would see her reading and thinking when I was a child. We would often sit in the back yard in Ohio in the coolness of the shade and read. I don't remember talking with her about the books I read but I remember we would always be reading.
There was one summer when I read the biggest books I could find in the library. Gone with the Wind, Hawaii, and several other long long books.
There are a couple of books I re-read. Much to the suprise of some friends of mine. I read Franny and Zooey, JD Salinger, A Gift from the Sea, Ann Morrow Lindburg, and Siddharta, by Hesse once a year. I read them like visiting with friends and they challenge me in new ways each time.
That challenge is like reading Bible Stories that seem so different each time. I think it is because our lives have placed different lenses before us with experiences so that we read them in unique ways. I remember the first time I read the line in the Gospel of John, I will not leave you orphaned.... after both my parents had died.... it meant something altogether new.
What will life's new experience teach us today about how Jesus comes to us in the scriptures. We won't know until we open our Bibles and see. Today may you find a newness of promise for you in scripture.

God abide with you
BobbieMcGarey
@2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home