Awakening a Keen Observer

Monday, June 25, 2007

wrestling with the night

I woke this morning to the birds singing just outside my window. Actually, my favorite way to wake. I have been sleeping myself particularly well. I've been falling asleep quickly and dreaming alot with long connected stories. Last night I was dreaming about a group of friends and a trip with them. I woke refreshed.
I turned on the coffee maker to heat the left over coffee and thought of a friend.
He said he'd been having such trouible sleeping. He described to me his last two nights of not sleeping. Later I thought how to describe such nights
wrestling with the night for some rest.
We've all had those nights, right? When sleep won't come. Not particularly because of any troubling issues but somehow the body won't yield to sleep.
Somehow there is not comfort space even though it's not about pain. Somehow there is no rest.
There are times to be sure when you waken with particular issues on your heart that keep you awake. We've all had those nights too, right? When someones well being or our own is troubled and we just can't find rest. What body chemical is keeping us awake. I look at those times as a call to prayer.
No doubt one could search the internet and find information about those chemicals that the body produces that makes un-sleep happen. But it is the westling in the heart that I think keeps us awake the most.
Psalm 62:1
For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from God comes my salvation.
2 God alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall never be shaken.


Ah... rest in God alone. No more wrestling.
God Abides
Bobbie Giltz McGarey
@2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home