Awakening a Keen Observer

Saturday, May 29, 2004

Re-member?

To put back into your thoughts is to remember something. You can't remember something that didn't happen, or that you didn't read or watch or hear. Those things just happen. But to re-member something is to go to that event again.
Remember the Good Times, Willie Nelson sings, they are smaller in number and easier to recall.

Well, perhaps smaller but in the long range of things, for most of us, our memories are good ones. Perhaps the good ones' don't imprint on our brains like the trauma/chaos ones do. Like pictures we haven't seen in a while memories change as we add more and more to the 'file' in our brain. We replay the memories when something triggers it.

I recall (I used that word instead of remember) one time when I bought a beautiful gardenia plant. My grandmother's house in Virginia had a beautiful wonderful huge gardenia bush out side it. The smell of those abundant blooms were etched in my brain along with family, home, security, fun, and my grandparents. When the plant I bought bloomed even the tiny blossoms filled the kitchen. And in some unconscious way i got really sad. For several days I was just sad. And then I put it together. The wonderful smell of the gardenias had shifted my thoughts to loved ones long gone and I was missing all of them but not knowing why.

Perhaps what concerns us most about some day losing our memory, underlying what we think it might be, is the unspoken concern that we ourselves will some day be forgotten. Perhaps this is so. But nothing , nothing, nothing, will ever let us be forgotten by God. We are/havebeen/always wil be in God's hand and heart. Jesus said ...when he shared the meal with those he loved, do this in remembering me. And in Jesus, we are all remembered, put back together whole.

God Abide
Bobbie McGarey
@2004

Sunday is Pentacost wear something RED!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home